Fisheries Scientific Technician II – Puyallup Tribe of Indians
Categories: Tribal Opportunities
The Scientific Technician II will work under the direction of the Puyallup Tribal Fisheries staff to monitor juvenile salmon during spring emigration using a rotary screw trap on the Puyallup and White Rivers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Help install, maintain and monitor rotary screw traps in the Puyallup and White Rivers.
- Sample and collect data in the field; including identification of juvenile pacific salmon and other local freshwater species, taking/recording length, collecting scales and DNA tissue, and PIT tagging.
- Perform trap calibration experiments using mark-recapture methods for a variety of juvenile salmon species.
- Enter field data collected into excel database for analysis, includes QA/QC.
- Work in inclement weather during day and night shifts to protect the trap from flood damage and clear trap of debris.
- Provide security at the trap location and maintain trap; including, grease fittings, riveting screens, using axe/chainsaw and fixing mechanical issues that may arise.
- Perform other fisheries duties as assigned, which may include: cleaning raceways/hatchery maintenance, adult spawner surveys, beach seining and adult sampling.
Comments are closed.